Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chirer Polau / Breakfast with Poha

There is a big Champa(A yellow flower ) tree opposite our house. One of my favorite pass timeis staring at that tree.
One morning,it was certainly Saturday, when I was late  ......... I was woken up by a sound of rain from my sunset above window.The sky had turned grey and there was a mild cool breeze. It could rain any time. I hurried towards the terrace to see surrondings.... there were my husband still lying on bed.
The birds on the tree continued their loud chattering ..... I thought they were getting uncomfortable with the sudden downpour or may be their mothers were yelling at the disobedient ones asking them to get inside the nests. My imagination took wings till I saw some kids from our neighbourhood come out on the roads with umbrellas, splashing water at each other and jumping into small puddles of water. They talked loudly as they walked past our house. I felt jealous of them and wondered how liberal and good their parents were !!
I went inside and was thinking about how we used to make old newspaper  boats and was waiting for an opportunity to float them.
Those days of happiness don't last long.I had to grow up.
Now I have to make our breakfast.A simple one but crispy one I wish.I have open the jar with Poha/Chire and now I will make Chirer Polau.
Chirer Polau


What You Need

Thick Poha/ Beaten Rice - 1 cup
Dry Roasted Peanuts - a handful
Green Peas - 1/3 cup(Optional, I had some in my refrigerator)
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilies - 2
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 small pinch
Salt

Coriander leaves for garnishing
Oil for cooking
How I Do It
  Heat Oil in Kadai/Pan.
  Add chopped green chilies to it and cumin seeds. When the oil is warm and begins to sputter add a pinch of turmeric powder.
  Add green peas and fry for one minute. Add the roasted peanuts too.
  In the mean time, wash Poha/Chire and drain the water completely and keep aside.Do   not wash again and again,it will get extra soft.
  Add the Poha.
  Add sugar and salt and mix well. Stir for one minute. Remove from heat.
  Garnish with chopped coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment