Sunday, September 4, 2011

Moong Dal er Bhaja Pithe/ Fried Lentil Sweet

My neighbors are very nice people. They didn't utter a word when I did not sent back the
 tiffin carrier which they gave me filled with golden pieces of KaNthal(Jackfruit) from their native village and some rosogullas in occassion of their new cutie baby boy.

My Ma had always taught us that a plate, bowl, whatever that had been filled with food should never be returned empty and so I feel obliged to reciprocate by sending back the plates with some edible items. And as I am so much Phankibaj(lazy and like shortcuts),that I could not make some thing which can be sent in tififn box.Actually I wanted to give them some home made sweets because I do not have anything lovely like those KaNthal to give them.

As I have told  that I am usually lazy and have no time to make Chana(Main ingredient for sweets), so this is a quick shortcut which I love. 


                                            Moong Dal er Bhaja Misti

What you Need
Moong Daal - 2 cups
Cardamom - 15
Sugar - 1 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Oil - for frying


How I Do It
1 . Soak Moong Daal for 3 hours. Grind finely.It should be paste ,not lot watery.
2.  Put a wide open pan on flame and add the finely ground moong daal to it.
3 . Add sugar and salt and oil and stir continuously till the moong daal become light yellow in color.Keep stirring the moong daal continuously else it may form lumps.
4.  Ground the cardamom and add to the moong daal.
5.  Remove to another dish and spread uniformly.
6. When cool, cut into desired shapes.
7. Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry till golden brown.




FootNote: Now I Use Mixer/Grinder to make paste for Soaked Lentils/Dal, Posto/PoppySeeds or other spices.But I still remember in my valuable memory that every morning my Pishi(Father's Sister) used to make paste with SheelNora-A smooth black nora of stone grating on  a pock marked slab of stone-Sheel, turmeric stained by use and age with a  rhythmic regular pressure of her hands.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment